The UF Gator International Focus Team (UFGIFT) was formed with the attention of meeting the unique needs of UF’s large and diverse international community. As an international student, you may seek counseling for a variety of reasons including:
- prejudice and discrimination
- feeling invisible or isolated
- navigating language and cultural barriers
- adjusting to US classroom culture
- academic expectations/difficulties
- anxiety about major/careers
- family/cultural expectations
- financial responsibilities
- maintaining family and other relationships
- visa and legal statuses
- losing self-confidence
- anxiety and stress
- relationship problems (whether with lab mates, instructors, roommate, or romantic partners)
- depression and motivation
- or suicidal thoughts
We are committed to providing a space to address these concerns and help you succeed at UF.
While you may feel uncomfortable discussing personal problems with others the earlier you seek help the more likely your problems can be resolved. The staff members at the Counseling and Wellness Center are trained professionals who are knowledgeable about the issues facing international students.
Dr. Chun-Chung Choi started the International Initiative Team at the UF Counseling Center (now the Counseling and Wellness Center)
Ms. Debra Anderson (UF International Center) and Mr. Thomas Germain (UF Housing) join and the team is renamed UF International Initiative Team or UFIIT. As the team received increased interest and demand across campus, it’s scope was expanded to involve service providers from across the UF campus.
- College of Engineering
- College of Business
- Dean of Student Office
- UF Police Department
- Student Legal Services
- Victim Advocate
- Career Resource Center
- College of Design Construction and Planning
- Asian Pacific Islander American Affairs
- Graduate Student Council
- Graduate School
- Law School,
- International Students organizations (eg., Chinese Student Association and Taiwanese Student Association)
- other related campus services providers.
To accommodate the broad needs of UF’s community around international issues and concerns, the team was renamed UFGIFT (UF Gator International Focus Team).
Services for International Students
International Focus Therapy Groups
CWC hosts two international focused therapy groups titled “International Student Support Group”. One is in English and the other in Mandarin. Additionally we host a Spanish-language group called “?Como Estas?”, although it isn’t explicitly for international students.
These groups may not be hosted every semester so please visit our Groups Therapy listing for more information or talk to your counselor about joining.
International Focused Consultation/Outreach
The CWC provides one-on-one and group outreach and consultation to faculty, staff, and student organizations that provide services focused on the success of international students.