What is Wellness?
There are different ways to define wellness. And it is a concept open to misinterpretations.
However, in the literature it is mostly agreed upon that
- Wellness is more than a state of being, it is an active life-long process
- Wellness is more than being free from illness; it is seeking to achieve your full potential
- Wellness is multidimensional and best captured when approached from a holistic lens
- Wellness is positive and affirming
Based on those tenets, the National Wellness Institute describes wellness as "an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence." As you look into what wellness is, please take a moment to consider what wellness means to you.
Dimensions of Wellness
Your wellness is informed by different facets of life. Not just one or two but all these dimensions matter. Attention to each dimension and making choices that would help you find your balance is essential to maintain your wellness.
Take a moment to reflect on each of these areas. Which area(s) need your attention? Remember that UF offers a number of resources to help you stay well in all these areas. CWC specifically offers tools to enhance your emotional, social, occupational and intellectual wellness. Check these resources out as you actively seek wellness. Pursue the ones that are best fit for your needs. If you need further support to explore and clarify your wellness needs, contact CWC at 352-392-1575 to schedule a consultation meeting.
CWC Wellness Resources
We offer variety of online and on-site resources to improve and maintain your wellness.Online Wellness Resources:
Our website provides a number of options including:
Walk-in Wellness Resources:
- Online self-help on various topics including stress, relationship issues, and academic wellness.
- Links to apps that can support your wellness efforts.
- CWC on Facebook and Twitter providing wellness reminders, tips and resources.
We have resources available for immediate student check-out, no-appointment necessary. Just present your UF ID and ...
Group as a Wellness Resource:
- Relax on our massage chair.
- Check out one of our “Bliss-filled iPods” to listen to audio-exercises to reduce stress, improve confidence or get mentally ready for your next exam.
- Use Biofeedback, a computer-based self-directed training to learn how to calm your mind and body. We invite you to attend to a Biofeedback Orientation hour to learn how to use this system. Once familiarized with it, you are welcome to stop by during office hours to use one of our 6 available stations.
- Hang out with our certified therapy dogs Siggi and Gabe at Yappy Hour.
- Attend to a one of our workshops. Ready for Success and Emotional Fitness are just a few typical workshops offered that may interest you. See full workshop listings.
We offer therapy and support groups to improve and maintain your wellness. Our groups would meet multiple needs at the same time: emotional, intellectual, social and possibly occupational or spiritual. Here are some titles that may interest you. And check out our group listings
for comprehensive list of available groups and schedules.
- Taming the Anxious Mind Group — practice mindfulness meditation.
- Understanding Self and Others Group — reflect on your relationship with self and others and change your patterns
- Academic Confidence Group — learn how to build study and relaxation skills and strengthen your academic confidence.