We are usually able to provide documentation of services or letters of support for current and former clients. However, if you have never been a client at the CWC, we are probably not the best source of support for your petition and may not be able to provide you a letter.

Current and former clients may need documentation of services received at the CWC. For example, documentation of services is typically required for petitions related to withdrawal from classes or arrangements with financial aid. Follow the steps below to obtain documentation.

Follow this link for information on obtaining Support Letters from SHCC Psychiatry.

Types of Documentation

Speak to your counselor or provider if you need a petition support letter, such as for withdrawal from classes or reinstatement of financial aid. Tell your provider the purpose of the letter and share complete contact information for the letter recipient.

Note that petition committees generally only view support letters favorably when they are written by a provider with whom you have established a working relationship. If you have met with a CWC provider for only 1-2 visits, the provider can only offer a visit verification form.

Follow this link for more information about Medical Petitions: Submit Medical Petition – care.dso.ufl.edu


You may ask your provider for a visit verification form, which is official documentation that you received services on a particular date. This could be helpful to share with a professor who desires proof of services.

Note that for the purpose of petitions, a visit verification form typically is not an adequate substitute for a support letter from a provider with whom you have an established working relationship.

You may wish to share records regarding your treatment with another professional. To request records please call us at 352-392-1575.
The CWC does not write support letters for emotional support animals and they are not permitted in our facilities.

Only a forensic psychologist is qualified to determine whether an emotional support animal will help someone with a specific mental health disability. Given the insufficient evidence regarding the benefits of ESAs there are a limited number of providers who may be willing to write these letters. If you have insurance please contact them regarding details about referral and coverage.

Learn more about the CWC’s policy regarding animals.

Providing Authorization

Bring a photo ID and visit the CWC to sign a release of information form. The CWC cannot release any information about you without your signed authorization. You may retrieve your letter or documentation when you sign this form, provided that it is available at that time.

Please Note

  • Bring a photo ID when retrieving your documentation from the CWC.
  • Allow up to 30 days for the processing of documentation requests.
  • The CWC does not keep records beyond 10 years.

Academic Accommodations

Academic accommodations are handled by UF’s Disability Resource Center. For more information about requesting an accommodation letter please visit: Accommodation Letters – disability.ufl.edu