How University of Florida Students Can Access Psychiatry Care

If you are experiencing depression or anxiety, the sooner you get treatment the better. But, getting treatment can sometimes seem not as easy as you had hoped, so in this article I will talk about ways you can access psychiatry care at UF. Studies show that people respond better to treatment the earlier they begin treatment. Strikingly, 2/3 of people with depression and ½ with anxiety go untreated.

What are the barriers to treatment?

Sometimes the stigma of seeing a psychiatrist might keep you from getting help, but I want you to know that 31% of college students have been diagnosed with a mental health disorder in the last year, and that these problems are common at your age. Therapy and wellness activities are very important tools for recovery. Medication can be an additional tool for treating symptoms. I hope that by reading this article you will feel more comfortable seeking help for problems that often occur in university students.

How would you access psychiatry care at the University of Florida?

There are different paths to care, and sometimes there can be delays during busy times of the year:

  • Advocate - Let a friend or parent know you are seeking help so they can support your efforts.
  • Brief Consultation - Call The Counseling & Wellness Center 352-392-1575 for a brief consultation.
  • Case Manager - If there are no psychiatry appointments, request to meet with the Counseling and Wellness Center case manager or SHCC Psychiatry case manager. They will help you find a community psychiatrist.
  • Primary Care - If the wait to see a psychiatrist seems too long, you can ask your primary care doctor at the Student Health Care Center if he or she will prescribe you a medication. Not all primary care doctors will do this, and in that case you might want to see if your primary care doctor or pediatrician from home will start you on medication as a bridge to getting in with a UF or Gainesville provider.
  • Patience and Hope - Don’t give up if you’re encountering problems. Work with your friend or parent to get treatment.
  • Learn more about making an appointment with Psychiatry.

Written by Marcia Morris, MD, Associate Program Director, SHCC Psychiatry