Find us on FacebookFind us on TwitterFind us on Youtube


About CWC Services

Making an Appointment

Eligibility and Charges

Location, Hours and Parking

About CWC Services

What services does the UF Counseling and Wellness Center (CWC) Provide?

  • The CWC provides individual, group, and couples counseling for currently enrolled UF students. We work with students with psychological, emotional, academic and/or relationship concerns
  • Crisis intervention for students experiencing a personal crisis or emergency
  • Psychiatric evaluation and medication consultation
  • Stress management and biofeedback services
  • Outreach, prevention, and educational programs for students, faculty and staff
  • Consultation services for students, faculty, staff, families and friends of students
  • Training and supervision in counseling and psychology graduate students from pre-practicum through post-doctoral residency
  • Assessment and referral services
  • Teaching, research and scholarship

Does the CWC provide career counseling?

The CWC does not offer Career Counseling, but the Career Resource Center does. You can reach them by calling (352) 392-1601, or by stopping by the office located in the first floor, J. Wayne Reitz Union.

Does the CWC provide couples or family counseling?

We provide short-term counseling for couples if at least one partner is a currently enrolled student. Let us know you are interested in couples counseling when you call to make an appointment.

What kinds of problems do students present when they come for counseling?

At the CWC we see students with a wide range of problems including: anxiety, homesickness, depression, Stress, Academic worries, Roommate and friendship problems, suicidal thoughts, alcohol and drug problems, eating concerns, family problems, grief or loss, identity concerns, and so forth.

Are there limits to services provided?

Due to the significant and increasing demand for our limited counseling services we do follow a short term model. Most students who received individual therapy are seen for 1-6 sessions with a maximum of 12 for a very few. Our group therapy sessions are unlimited. Sometimes a student’s mental health needs require longer, more intensive or specialized treatment that we can’t provide. In these cases we will provide consultation to help you find off-campus mental health resources. We are not a 24 hour facility and are closed during university holidays and breaks.

back to top

Are counseling sessions confidential?

All aspects of your participation in counseling at the Counseling and Wellness Center are private and confidential in accordance with state and federal laws including HIPAA.The CWC operates as a single entity, which means that counselors, psychologists, and psychiatric providers within the CWC may share your information in order to consult with each other in order to provide you the most effective services. No information may be released to anyone outside of the CWC without your written permission; however, your counselor is required to report disclosed information to the appropriate authorities when:
  • Serious and foreseeable harm to you or others is evident
  • Release of confidential information is required by court order or requested by you
  • Child abuse or neglect is evident or suspected
  • Abuse, neglect or exploitation of adults who are vulnerable due to physical or mental impairment or advanced age is evident or suspected

If you are under the age of 18, please discuss with your counselor how confidentiality applies to you.

You can learn more about confidentiality and privacy when you come in for your first appointment, and feel free to discuss with your mental health provider at any time.

What kind of background and training do CWC counselors have?

Counseling is provided by our staff of licensed psychologists and counselors. Services are also provided by pre-doctoral psychology intern, post-doctoral fellows, counseling interns, and doctoral practicum students. All counselors in training positions receive supervision from our professional staff.

back to top

Making an Appointment

How do I make an appointment?

To schedule an appointment, please call the CWC at 352-392-1575. You will be given the first open 20 minute triage appointment that fits with your schedule. You will also be emailed a link to complete our on-line paperwork before your appointment. If you have any questions about this process you may call and ask to speak to an on-call clinician.

What will happen at my first appointment?

Your first appointment at CWC will begin with a 20 minute triage appointment with a staff clinician. The clinician will help assess the nature and urgency of your problem so that we can help you make the most appropriate next step to assist you.

When you contact our office you will be scheduled for this 20 minute face to face triage appointment. This is a specific time reserved for you. It is important that you are arriving before your scheduled time and have already completed our on-line paperwork. If you are not on time, or your paperwork is not completed before your appointment, your appointment may have to be rescheduled. In the appointment you will be asked a number of questions and have the opportunity to discuss your personal situation and ask questions of the clinician.

At the end of the session, appropriate options will be reviewed with you. These could include an appointment for individual therapy CWC, a referral to one of our groups, and/or a referral to other resources on campus or in the community that can help address your concerns. Crisis and urgent appointments are available when needed. CWC is a short term counseling agency. If you need or are interested in a longer term therapy relationship, we can advise you about setting up services in the community.

back to top

How can I get into a counseling group?

Many of our groups require that you come for an initial triage appointment to talk about your concerns with a counselor. One of the options from this appointment may be a referral to group therapy. You will be assisted in setting up a group screening appointment with one of the group facilitators.

For our wellness workshops that do not require a pre-screening, such as our biofeedback, you may attend one of our scheduled orientation sessions. Please call 352-392-1575 or see our website for dates and times of our orientation sessions.

How quickly can I be seen?

We try to get students in as quickly as possible, usually within a week, except in some very busy times during the year. If you are having an emergency you can be seen on an emergency basis by the on-call counselor at the Crisis and Emergency Resource Center (CERC) at the Radio Road location. Directions to CERC at Radio Road

What if I have an emergency?

In an emergency situation and during operating hours, call the CWC Crisis and Emergency Resource Center at 352-392-1575 and ask to speak to a counselor immediately. Suicidal intent, acute risk of violent behavior, severe loss of emotional control, and gross impairment in thinking ability are examples of emergencies.

After hours call:
The Alachua County Crisis Center, 352-264-6789
University Police Department: 352-392-1111
Counseling and Wellness Center: 352-392-1575
The Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

back to top

What if I’m worried about a friend?

In a large university like the University of Florida, campus mental health is the responsibility of all of us. It is vital to reach out to others, particularly those who are isolated or engaged in self-destructive activities.

Here are some common signs that someone may be having emotional troubles or even feeling suicidal:
  • References to death or suicide in conversation, jokes, or writings
  • Preoccupation with death and dying
  • Withdrawal from friends and social activities
  • Loss of interest in schoolwork, work, and other activities
  • Abrupt changes in behavior, mood or appearance
  • Pursuit of dangerous activities
  • References to previous suicide attempts
  • Drug or alcohol problems
  • Signs of depression: crying, hopelessness, sleeping or eating problems, low energy, low self-esteem, excessive guilt
Here are ways to be helpful when someone shows some of these signs:
  • Take the signs seriously.
  • Ask to talk to the person.
  • Say you are concerned. Point out the signs you've noticed.
  • Be willing to listen. Don't judge or give lots of advice or try to cheer up the person.
  • If it's unclear that the person is suicidal, ask, "Have things gotten so bad that you're actually thinking of hurting yourself?" Asking about suicide is a sign of caring.
  • Don't be sworn to secrecy. Say that you need to talk with someone to make sure they are safe.
  • If the person is acutely suicidal, they may do something right away. Don't leave them alone. Have someone else promptly call the UF police department 352-392-111. Off campus, call 911.
  • If the situation isn't an immediate emergency, refer the person to the Counseling and Wellness Center 352-392-1575 or the Crisis and Emergency Resource Center (CERC) 352-392-1576. Tell the person you will contact CERC to explain the situation.
  • If you have any questions about a person, call the CWC at 352-392-1575.
  • For after hours emergencies call the UF Police Department at 352-392-1111.

back to top

Eligibility and Charges

Who is eligible to receive counseling?

University of Florida students are eligible for our services. For registered students, charges for our services are covered by the health fee that is paid as part of their tuition during that semester. As of Summer 2013, UF students who are not enrolled during a semester can be eligible for CWC services during their off-semester.

Is there a charge for counseling?

University of Florida students are eligible for our services. For registered students, charges for our services are covered by the health fee that is paid as part of their tuition during that semester.

UF students can have access to CWC services during their off-semester. The off-semester charge will allow for services to be offered to students not enrolled as long as student meets the eligibility criteria. For the Fall, Spring and Summer C semesters, students who are not enrolled will be required to pay an off-semester charge of $100 if they would like to use services during that term. The off-semester charge for Summer A or B semester is $50.

Please note that the services for Psychiatry is separate from CWC. For registered students, the charge for meeting with psychiatric providers is covered by the health fee that is paid as part of their tuition. Off-semester students seeking psychiatric services are to pay the Student Health Care Center (SHCC) a separate fee for that term. The SHCC optional health fee gives off-semester students eligibility for both psychiatry services housed at CWC and primary care services at SHCC. Please contact SHCC Patient Financial Services at (352) 273-4546 for the current per-semester optional health fee cost.

back to top

Location, Hours and Parking

What are the CWC’s operating hours?

The CWC at 3190 Radio Road is open from 8-5 Monday through Friday.

Where is the CWC? How do I get there?

The CWC is located on the west side of campus. We are at 3190 Radio road. This is just down the street from Lakeside housing complex, across the street from Maguire family housing and down the street from the SW Recreation Center.

We are accessible by walking, biking and several bus routes.

What about parking?

We have some limited parking available for students who are here for an appointment. You must get a parking pass from our front desk staff. The pass is good for an hour and a half (the few minutes before and after your appointment time).

Is the building accessible?

Yes, the Radio Road location has automatic doors on the front and back of the building and is equipped with an elevator. The CERC has an elevator from the ground floor to the fourth floor.

back to top


Self-Help Resources

Check out our self-help library

Counseling and Wellness Center
3190 Radio Road, PO Box 112662
Gainesville, FL 32611-2662
Phone: (352) 392-1575
Fax: (352) 273-4738

Office Hours:  Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm

UF signature

Make a gift to support
the CWC mission!

Make a Gift